"We do not stop exercising because we grow old - we grow old because we stop exercising."- Dr. Kenneth Cooper

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Teaching on Day 1 Review

During my lesson I did a good job of using visual cues. I broke down the forward pass with four steps. Hold at chest level, pull back at 90 degree angle with elbow up/point with opposite hand to target, step (weight transfer), and follow through with hand in the pocket. I showed what the correct grip to use and also explained if you were left handed what position would look like. I checked for understanding by asking if there was any questions. I did a good job of walking around and providing corrective feedback.

I need to work on not saying umm and ahh so much in between my sentances. I also should have brought the group in closer especially since it was loud in the gym. I should have asked for a volunteer to help me demonstrate the pass. I also shouldn't have been flustered by the question ask of how the ball should leave the fingers to get a spiral. I should have been confident with my teaching skills and not try to think if I was wrong when the question was asked.

I will be more confident if I don't say umm. I know the material and once I start talking I am fine, it is just the transitions into other cues or activities that make me say that. If I would have planned the lesson I would have definitely asked for a volunteer and would have been more clear on the cues. I should also stick to my cues and be ready for any question. If I can do these things I will become a better teacher.